Wish You a very happy and prosperous 2008!
A new start! I love new beginnings. I’ve had lots of them lately. They are unsettling and sometimes even confusing, but they are so necessary for growth and progress. New year is a good time to start anew. In my view, just another occasion to start anew — certainly not the only one. Because i believe that those who make it happen are the ones who bounce back and start anew one more time — after falling and failing time and again.
That brings me to the things i must pay more attention to in this new year if i want to make this a happy and successful year. What follows is a list of reminders to myself – my 8 resolutions for ’08. I’ll share them here with you all… maybe you can identify with some?
2. Think of ‘friend raising’ more than ‘fund raising’. (if it wasn’t for the help of some friends in Madrid, i would be doing just another job to pay my bills). Be around and surrounded by smart people, good people, people you like and love. Remember what the Beatles said – All you need is love… that’s the only thing that brings some meaning to the madness!
3. Keep exploring, discovering, learning. Be on a constant ‘high’, a constant state of intellectual stimulation. Think clearly; brainstorm; have stimulating meetings – lunches and dinners. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
4. Cut the ‘down times’, closely related with #1; time is a limited factor – use it well. Be positive more of the time and let the creative energies flow non-stop. Since winning involves a lot of small failures on the way, it’s important not to waste time after setbacks or temporary failures, and quickly gain perspective of the big picture. Failure is part of success. Go about with a sense of purpose.
5. Keep a laserlike focus on your goals and dreams. Keep an eye on your long term objectives and work on the short term goals. Think big, but act small. Take time out every now and then to recharge batteries and get ‘high’ on motivation. Be clear about what you need to do and why. Stick it out (or don’t). Even Einstein acknowledged — “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer”.
6. Build your character. Build your karma. Leadership is all about character and karma. Be a good team player. Lead, follow and get out of the way. Be open to constructive criticism and different perspectives. If you want to change the world, start with the Man in the mirror…
7. Give to the community. Contribute what you can to projects/initiatives that you like, and help people without expecting anything in return. You get what you give.
8. Enjoy the journey! All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. We all know that. But sometimes it does good to be reminded of such simple truths. Have fun while you make your dream come true. Better still, blur the line between work and play!
Have a great ’08!